Thursday 30 November 2017

Blade Runner 2049




Oh the noir!!!!!
Being a critical and churlish git by nature, and stung too many times by 2nd hand remakes, I was expecting a commercial bastardisation of my beloved original Blade Runner. But how wrong I was to doubt! 2049 remains true to the original and exceeds it in every respect; acting, plot, art & cinematography, and music. Screw the people moaning about the 163 minute duration of the film. As a cinematic experience it didn't last long enough!

Composer Jóhann Jóhannsson, who had worked with director Villeneuve before, was initially announced as composer for the film. But in July 2017 Jóhannsson got binned because Villeneuve "needed something different, and needed to go back to something closer to Vangelis's soundtrack". New composers Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch then took over. I'm so glad they did, because in addition to the Tarkovsky- esque visuals, the music really swung it for me. Bravo! I am looking forward to geeking out to it over and over and OVER again, alongside the Directors cut of the original, the "making of" etc etc etc. Bring it on.



No comments:

Post a Comment