Monday 20 January 2014

The Sitar- The Instrument & It's Technique


My sitar arrived from India today! Unfortunately the strings were in a bit of a mess, and 2 broke immediately on trying to tune it. The quality of the workmanship leaves alot to be desired in places, but it's mostly surface stuff, inlay work, scuffs etc. Not enough to stump up £70 to return it. 

The Tar Gahan (which feeds the strings to the head) wasn't attached or glued properly and came clean off! So I have had to remove all the strings and glue it on. Still, I suppose it's a good way to get to know the instrument and how to tune it. It did come with a set of spare strings. Whilst the glue is drying, I can't play with it grrrr. Interestingly the terminal tuning knobs on the head are called KUNTI. I suppose I could twiddle them whilst I'm waiting. 

The book in the photo is a slender volume written by Manfred M Junius. It is regarded as an unofficial classic. Other tutoring books are out of print and too expensive, but the Junius remains in print at least. And something to work with. 


By South Utsire

No comments:

Post a Comment